Thursday, August 5, 2010

Peach Cobbler

I scored AWESOMELY today when I went to the store *just* to get some milk, eggs, and tortilla shells. I tripped over a box of peaches sitting on the floor in the produce area...I'd decided I also needed some bananas. Anyways, the box was labeled "soft box $3.00". Could it really be true? Indeed it was. Here was a 25lb box of PEACHES for ONLY $3. All of the peaches had at least one dime sized bruise or other deformity. I snatched that baby up! Then grabbed some cinnamon rolls and the other items on my list. I bring the box home proudly showing off my wonderful find to my husband...and boast that I'm going to peel and slice all these peaches, make a cobbler, some jam, and freeze what I don't use. So that's what I did today. Except I neglected to pick up the juice I need to make the jam with so that's put off for another day.

I also neglected to remember that I needed more white flour because of an incident involving an unlatched pantry and a beautiful 2 year old, so I had to make due with the little bit of flour I had in a canister and whole wheat flour. Oh, did I mention I've NEVER made a cobbler before? This is my delicious abomination of peach cobbler.

Ingredients:

Ingredients

  • 8-10 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch

  • 1 1/2cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup boiling water

  • MIX TOGETHER:
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions:

*Preheat oven to 425°

*In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

*
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.

*Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.


*Serve warm with ice cream!


***Oh, when spending all day peeling and slicing 25lbs of peaches, with a toddler in the area, be sure of one of these two things, at least: 1) You do all your peeling, slicing, etc out of the reach and sight of said toddler...they will do ANYTHING to munch on those peaches...ALL.DAY.LONG. 2) Because of #1 you will DEFINITELY want the toddler to be WELL potty trained...just trust me...THANKFULLY this HUGE milestone was met last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment